The vague memories I had of Greece are of stray dogs & a desolate Olympic park. Ein bisschen traurig to say the least. Marls & I totally redeemed my perception of Greece with our amazing August 2016 adventure to Mykonos and Santorini.
Potential itinerary: MUC to JMK, ferry JMK to Naxos, ferry Naxos to Paros, ferry Paros to Santorini, JTR to MUC.
Daily direct flights from MUC to ATH on Lufthansa or Aegean Airlines. Once in ATH, daily & cheap direct flights & ferries to JTR or JMK via Ryanair, Aegean, or Ellinair. Between the islands, a ferry is the best option because all flights are routed through ATH.
Direct flight MUC to JTR (Santorini/Thera) on Lufthansa on Saturdays. Other flights from MUC stop in VIE or ZRH.
Daily direct flights VIE to JTR on airberlin, Austrian Airlines or Niki (Austrian discount airline, part owned by airberlin).
Direct flights almost everyday from ZRH
Flights from SZG always stop in VIE
Cheap & direct flights from MUC to JMK (Mykonos) via Volotea (Spanish discount airline) on Friday & Tuesday.
I had a sneaking suspicion that there was more to Irish beer than Guiness and a quick map search confirmed that we will have a busy few days of beer tasting in and around Dublin.
Breweries in Dublin
- Guiness - obvi.
- Urban Brewery: North Dock. Craft beer bar and restaurant with own inhouse brews. Taps & Tapas has brunch on Sat & Sun.
- J.W. Sweetman: 1-2 Burgh Quay D2, near O'Connell Bridge.
- Persistence Brewing: they were local, organic, recycling making-do people out of necessity, before it was hip. Brewery located at 141-146 King St. N. in Smithfield, but no tasting room so you can drink their beers at Drury Buildings on Drury St. and l'Gueuleton (croques for lunch!) on Fade St.
- Porterhouse: large, independent brewing co. with bars in London & New York. Their flagship establishment is the Porterhouse Temple Bar at 16-18 Parliament St. by the Grattan Bridge.
Pubs around Dublin
- BRÚ Brewery: craft beer from 100% Irish wheat and barley. Poured from the tap at BRÚ House at Fairview 12 on the NW side of Fairview Park in Dublin 3 with rooftop beer garden!! Open ab 12 with S/S brunch.
- Howth Harbour Bar & Brewery: Howth's first microbrewery.
Stockists: Craft brews to look out for on taps around town
Irish Train Network
Ballykilcavan: their in-house tasting room and store should be open by the time we'd get there. Train from Heuston in Dublin to Athy or Portlaoise is 44 min.
- Trinity College - Library - Book of Kells
- Guiness Store House
- Dublin Castle
- National Gallery
- Natural History Museum
- Museum of Modern Art and Kilmainham Gaol
- Walk the pier in Dun Laoighre, 15-20 mins south of the city with the DART train.
- Walk around St. Stephen's Green to Merrion Row, Baggot Street, Merrion Square... this is the Georgian part of Dublin
- Stag's Head - 1 Dame Court (off Dame St., close to Dublin Castle)
- The Palace - Fleet Street (start of Temple Bar, near to Trinity College)
- Kehoe's - South Anne Street (off Grafton St.)
- Mulligan's - Poolbeg St. (near to Tara St. railway station and Trinity College)
- McDaid's - Harry St. (off Grafton St.)
Slow Travel Rückfahrt nach München
- Ferry from Dublin Port (8:05) to Holyhead (11:30) with Irish Ferries - check-in 30 mins before. Rail & Sail ticket includes train from Holyhead to London. Trains to London Euston at 11:50, 12:50, 13:55 with Virgin Trains; journey is 3h50m. Total trip from Dublin to London ~7h, €97.
- Sleep in London at Prince Arthur for 2 nights, €150. 80-82 Eversholt St.
- Eurostar Chunnel Train from London St. Pancras (11:31) to Paris Nord (14:47) - arrive an hour early, €124.
- TGV Train from Paris Est (15:55) to Munich Hbf (21:36) ohne Umsteige inkl. Sitzplatzreservierung, 2 Kl., €97.