New England Tour
September 2018 with highlight being Mac & Mary's wedding!
Tu. 11.9.: Arrive in BOS 18:25 with EI0139, spend the night at Hilton Airport Hotel. Meet up w Isabel.
We. 12.9.: Cycle to Lisa, 61km.
- Shortly after leaving hotel when Hotel Dr. crosses Transportation Way and then becomes Tomahawk Dr., there is a small road to the left of Tomahawk that cuts directly to waterfront path (not shown on Komoot).
- Ferries at 10:50, 12:45, 13:40. Per MBTA, bicycles allowed on all ferries at all times.
Fr. or Sa. 14./15.9.: Cycle to Bill's, 51km. Early departure from Lisa's to be there by ~11:30.
Th. 20.9.: Off we go! Marshall Point Lighthouse to Readfield, 110km.
- Gardiner Food Co-op & Cafe: as soon as we cross the Keenebec River, left on Maine St., then right on Water St. Lots of vegetarian and local food, but the cafe seems to have a lot of plastic since it is mostly 'to-go' items.
- The Liberal Cup in Hallowell: at 89.5km just before we turn left/west onto Winthrop St. Brewery brewing session ales with local food & homemade veggie burgers!
- Afternoon snack: Wicked Whoopies just off the Kennbec River Rail Trail in Farmingdale at 86.5km or Fielder's Choice Homemade Ice Cream in Manchester at 96.9km on 202 just after we would leave it for Readfield Rd./17.
- Sleeping: Darcy & Henry Whittemore, WS.
Fr. 21.9.: Readfield to Bethel, 93km.
- Norway Brewing Co.: 16km detour?, family-owned microbrewery with delicious dinner menu available ab 16h. #eatlocal #drinklocal
- Crosstone Restaurant: in South Woodstock. Our track goes right/north onto 26/S. Main St. at the end of Andrews Rd., but Crosstone is just down to the left.
- The Suds Pub at Sunbury Inn. A few tasty vegetarian options and lots of craft drafts.
- Sunday River Brewing Co.: a few miles north of Bethel with full pub-style menu.
- Dinner & Sleeping: Wendy & Ray, WS.
Sa. 22.9.: Bethel to Littleton partially on the Presidential Range Rail Trail, 92km.
Su. 23.9.: Littleton to Marshfield, 81km.
- ⚠︎ Achtung: at 37km (shortly after Woodsville) we can bear right off of 302 onto the Wells River Rail Trail (trail not recognized on Komoot) for 2.8km.
- Our track parallels Rt. 302 and is mostly singletrack so can stay on 302 if no traffic.
- Lunch in Groton: Mountain Man Pizza open til 2pm; Artesano for ice cream & bottle of mead for hosts. Also Village Stores in Groton (just before 232 turnoff) and Marshfield if needed.
- Sleeping: Les & Lori, WS.
Mo. 24.9.: Burlington! 87km.
- Road route to Burlington follows Rt. 2/Theodore Roosevelt Hwy. for 7km Montpelier-Middlesex and 16km from Waterbury-Jonesville. The touring route alternative to this 23km includes 11,7km of unpaved singletrack. Komoot estimated time is 3:39h on the road vs. 5:34h on the touring route for the same distance and height difference (600m up; 800m down).
- The touring route coincides with the work-in-progress Cross Vermont Trail.
- Lunch: Aztlan Mexican or Maxi's in Waterbury.
- Sleeping: Meg/Jay/Jeannie, WS.
- Doug & Michele arrive at 14:02 with UA6083 (from UA735).
Th. 27.9.: Cycle from Burlington to STOWE!! Tough climb around Mt. Mansfield, 68km.
- After 54.7km, it's all downhill.
- 58km: Can stop at Stowe Mt. Lodge to see all the Beitzels and Vredenburghs!
- 59.8km: Trailhead for Bingham Falls, 1/2 mile hike to waterfall swimming hole.
- Sleeping: Hob Knob Inn for 3 nights.
- Matterhorn Bar: best après ski in the country! 4969 Mountain Rd.
- Doc Pond's: Friday lunch with the fam. M&M recommend hummus and black bean & sweet potato tacos. 294 Mountain Rd.
- Alchemist Beer: tasting room open until 7pm. 100 Cottage Club Rd.
- von Trapp Brewery & Bierhall: 1333 Luce Hill Rd. Open all day til 21h.
- The Bench: Vermont comfort food open ab 4pm on weekdays. Lots of VT craft drafts, small plates, local food. 492 Mountain Rd. #eatlocal #drinklocal
- Tres Amigos: Mex & margs; guac & rock. Open weekdays ab 4pm, weekends ab 11:30. 1190 Mountain Rd.
- Piecasso: Pizza+ and draft beer. Open all day every day. 1899 Mountain Rd.
Sa. 29.9.: Mac & Mary's Wedding in Stowe!
- Burlington Farmer's Market Sat AM for brunch?
- 15:00: Ceremony at Stowe Community Church, 137 Main St.
- Reception: Trapp Family Lodge, 700 Trapp Hill Rd.
Su. 30.9.: Drive back to PA with M&D
- 10:00 Brunch with wedding party: Kaffeehaus, 700 Trapp Hill Rd.
- Brattleboro: Vermont Country Deli - best deli ever!
Wkd of Fr. 4.10.: NYC or OC
We. 10.10.: JFK to DUB
Northeast Greenway Bike & Walk Trail, Greenway Map - incl. Janet-Brunswick section
Amtrak Network Map