I had a sneaking suspicion that there was more to Irish beer than Guiness and a quick map search confirmed that we will have a busy few days of beer tasting in and around Dublin.
Breweries in Dublin
- Guiness - obvi.
- Urban Brewery: North Dock. Craft beer bar and restaurant with own inhouse brews. Taps & Tapas has brunch on Sat & Sun.
- J.W. Sweetman: 1-2 Burgh Quay D2, near O'Connell Bridge.
- Persistence Brewing: they were local, organic, recycling making-do people out of necessity, before it was hip. Brewery located at 141-146 King St. N. in Smithfield, but no tasting room so you can drink their beers at Drury Buildings on Drury St. and l'Gueuleton (croques for lunch!) on Fade St.
- Porterhouse: large, independent brewing co. with bars in London & New York. Their flagship establishment is the Porterhouse Temple Bar at 16-18 Parliament St. by the Grattan Bridge.
Pubs around Dublin
- BRÚ Brewery: craft beer from 100% Irish wheat and barley. Poured from the tap at BRÚ House at Fairview 12 on the NW side of Fairview Park in Dublin 3 with rooftop beer garden!! Open ab 12 with S/S brunch.
- Howth Harbour Bar & Brewery: Howth's first microbrewery.
Stockists: Craft brews to look out for on taps around town
Irish Train Network
Ballykilcavan: their in-house tasting room and store should be open by the time we'd get there. Train from Heuston in Dublin to Athy or Portlaoise is 44 min.
- Trinity College - Library - Book of Kells
- Guiness Store House
- Dublin Castle
- National Gallery
- Natural History Museum
- Museum of Modern Art and Kilmainham Gaol
- Walk the pier in Dun Laoighre, 15-20 mins south of the city with the DART train.
- Walk around St. Stephen's Green to Merrion Row, Baggot Street, Merrion Square... this is the Georgian part of Dublin
- Stag's Head - 1 Dame Court (off Dame St., close to Dublin Castle)
- The Palace - Fleet Street (start of Temple Bar, near to Trinity College)
- Kehoe's - South Anne Street (off Grafton St.)
- Mulligan's - Poolbeg St. (near to Tara St. railway station and Trinity College)
- McDaid's - Harry St. (off Grafton St.)
Slow Travel Rückfahrt nach München
- Ferry from Dublin Port (8:05) to Holyhead (11:30) with Irish Ferries - check-in 30 mins before. Rail & Sail ticket includes train from Holyhead to London. Trains to London Euston at 11:50, 12:50, 13:55 with Virgin Trains; journey is 3h50m. Total trip from Dublin to London ~7h, €97.
- Sleep in London at Prince Arthur for 2 nights, €150. 80-82 Eversholt St.
- Eurostar Chunnel Train from London St. Pancras (11:31) to Paris Nord (14:47) - arrive an hour early, €124.
- TGV Train from Paris Est (15:55) to Munich Hbf (21:36) ohne Umsteige inkl. Sitzplatzreservierung, 2 Kl., €97.