Living in Budapest for a year starting in August 2012 was a highlight of my life. Unfortunately, it's all been downhill since dictator Orban took over. Since I have zero desire to visit dictatorships, I haven't returned since reunion 2014. I'm sure everyone says this about any place in which they lived and loved, but I feel that my year in Budapest was the last golden year for the city.
Ket Szerecsen and the Fagola gelato cafe across the street. Ket has something for everyone with mediterranean, international, and Hungarian fare. I love the vegetarian tapas and always have huge indecisiveness choosing amongst the delicious entrees. To drink, get the house lemon tea.
Koleves has delicious food with creative dishes and a nice assortment for vegetarians.
A Table - excellent boulangerie et patisserie! My favorite is the pistachio pain and my mom's is the almond. Excellent savory items too - like the ham & cheese croissant or croque monsieur!!
- Paprika - my go-to for Hungarian because it's not in tourist center, the menu is huge and diverse, the service is very friendly, and the interior is cozy like a mountain lodge. I always get the spicy noodles with chicken and the portion usually lasts me two meals!
- Millennium de Pippo
- Trattoria Pomo D’oro /Gastronomie Pomo D’oro
- TG Italiano
- Thai place on Jokai Ter
- Gerbeaud (and pub w house beer)
- New York Café
- Café Kor
- Déryné Bisztró
- Fuger Kave
- Kiado - my favorite place for a liter! I spent many a night here before I had wifi in my apt eating chicken caesar salad and washing it down with a liter.
- Most - my favorite place for chicken tikka masala and naan bread. Love the cozy interior in winter and the outdoor picnic tables in summer.
- Pántlika Bisztró in City Park
- Szimpla Kert - das Originial ruin pub
- Tundergyar (great draft selection, garden)
- Anker & Ankert
- City Park Beer Tent http://www.sorsator.com/
- Corvinteto - best place for a rooftop view.
- Kisüzem (Kis Diófa Utca 2)
- Durer Kert
- Spíler (Hungarian artisanal beer)
- Boutiq Bar (cocktails)
- Pater Marcus (house beer)
- Ferdinand Monarchia (house beer)
- Kaltenberg (house beer)
- Dunaparti Matroz Kocsma (house beer)
Sights & Activities:
Szentendre via bike (restaurant: Promenade)
Balaton (overnight; Balatonfüred: Flamingo or Anna Grand hotels; Siofok: Mala Garden)
- Ket Szerecsen, bottles of sparkling wine run about 4500ft (good breakfast menu, but only til 11:30)
- http://www.villa-bagatelle.hu/villa_bagatelle_en - venture to Buda burbs, but close to Deli station: 1126 Budapest, Németvölgyi út 17., Hungary
- Gellert Hotel Sunday buffet brunch and unlimited drinks for ~5oooft – could be followed by baths… soak in heated outdoor pool
- Most, bottles o bubbly 3500ft, cheap house wine
- Kiado, cheap eats, but bottles of champagne??
- Le Meridien (8400ft) and the Hilton (in Buda, 7590ft) have pricey, but unlimited drink & buffet brunch on Sunday
- Gerlóczy Kávéház - near Deák: http://www.gerloczy.hu/locate/
- Bobek - has big garden courtyard, near Kazinczy & Kiraly: http://www.bobek.hu/kapcsolat.html
- Déryné Bisztró: http://www.bistroderyne.com/your-bistro.html
Massimo Dutti & Deák Ferenc u.
Last updated in 2014.